This timeline focuses on 1256 24th Street, which was probably not built until 1887, but I went back in the city directories as far as I could before that to trace where some of its earliest residents were living before they moved to 24th Street, including Seth Whipple, William McKittrick, James Daly, Herman Stratton, Chester Howes, etc. Some of these people appear to have known each other or were involved in business together before moving to 24th St., some of them moved only a few houses away, and some of them even moved back to 24th St. The first resident I can trace was James Daly, a Michigan Central Railroad carbuilder. The most important resident I can trace was Seth Arca Whipple, a famous painter of Great Lakes ships who was also a tug captain, inventor, and architect. He married the daughter of William McKittrick, another Great Lakes vessel owner / captain, and the three of them lived in 1256 24th Street from 1895 until 1901 when both men died. I also traced some residents to see where they moved after they lived at 1256, and whether their occupations changed. I begin each entry with the year, and a description of what was going on at 1256, then include any pertinent info about nearby houses or descriptions of what former/future residents were doing elsewhere that year, and any additional historical notes about the general area. Note that address numbers were changed citywide in 1921, hence "1256 24th Street" was 236 24th Street, 1257=239, 1251=233, 1261=241, etc.
r=resides or rents?
1795 Legend of the "24th Street Candle" originates. Knagg's Mill also stood at mouth of Knagg's Creek here in 1810; it was the last windmill standing in Detroit, destroyed in the 1850s.
1846 directory lists John L. Whipple, "mariner" at Woodbridge & Beaubien.
1859 directory lists Capt. A.W. Whipple, 38 Congress W.; and J.L. Whipple "sailor" 217 Congress E.
1866-1867 James L. Whipple as tug captain, h 210 Congress E.
1869-1870 Nelson S. Whipple, "traveling agent" listed at 213 Grand River.
1870-1871 Nelson S. Whipple, "agent" listed at 237 Grand River.
1872-1873 Whipple family does not seem to appear in directory; there are few Whipples listed in the city.
1873-1874 lists Whipple family at 217 Grand River, Seth as a sawyer.
1874-1875 J.W. Weeks & Co. City Directory online search did not find 236 24th, but several addresses existed in the general area. Free Press articles: 24th Street Sewer, outlet at river. More 24th Street Sewer.
1874-1875 lists Seth (age 20) as "painter," and family at h 375 7th; Nelson S. Whipple as "engineer" at 367 Lafayette.
1875-76 lists George N. Whipple as druggist at h 50 Pine, Seth A. as "mechanic" bds 50 Pine, with Carrie C. Whipple (widow of Nelson S.)
1876-77 lists N.S. Whipple & Sons druggists & grocers, 355 Croghan / 355 Congress E...Seth, George, & Nelson.
1877 lists Capt. Seth A Whipple, h 355 E. Congress; Nelson S. Whipple, "vessel owner," 371 Croghan.
1878 lists SA Whipple "designer, Bardwell Photo Engraving Co.," h 427 5th, with Mrs. Caroline C. Whipple, Blanchard Whipple "engraver, Bardwell Photo Engraving Co.," and George N. Whipple "clk."
1879 J.W. Weeks & Co. City Directory online search did not find 236 24th, but several addresses existed in the general area.
1879 Polk's directory lists SA Whipple, and George N. Whipple, "clk A Immel" at 371 Croghan
1880 lists SA Whipple, and George N. Whipple, "clk C Schneider" at 371 Croghan. Free Press article: Constructing plank sidewalks on 24th St.
1881 lists SA Whipple at 371 Croghan. Free Press article: Osburn Homestead located on 24th Street north of Dalzell, subdivided & offered for sale July 1881.
Building permits granted in May 1881:
318 and 352 24th to Theo Janusch for frame dwellings
962 24th for frame dwelling and barn
588 23rd for frame dwelling to Ludwig Choymacky
More talk in October 1881 of "beautiful homes" and "great manufactories" being built around Baker & 24th, and its "probable future"...gives florid tour of the area.
1882 lists SA Whipple at 371 Croghan
1883 lists SA Whipple at 371 Croghan
1884 lists SA Whipple & McKittrick at h 371 Croghan; James D. Daly, "carp" at 305 4th.
1885 lists S. Arca Whipple "artist" at 371 Croghan (same as McKittrick!); HF Stratton, a "cashier local freight office MCRR," listed at 203 20th; James D. Daly, "carp" at 305 4th. Reverse searches by address in the digitized 1882-1885 city directories via ancestry.com show people living in nearby addresses on 24th St, such as 274, 327, 282, 110, etc. This is the year Detroit annexed this area from Springwells Twp., making 25th Street the new western boundary of the city. Despite being within the annexed area since 1885, the fact that this address does not show up in city directories until 1887/1888, that is what makes me think it was built during that time period, and was not a pre-existing Springwells Twp. house that predated plumbing. Plenty of other lots were still vacant on the street as well. Free Press article: Controversy regarding ice cut at the foot of 24th Street being sold for household use, due to the bay there being very foul.
1886 lists James Daly, "carbuilder" at 305 4th St., and a Wm. McKittrick, "engr," at 511 4th; Whipple not found...H.F. Stratton, a "clk MCRR," listed at 203 20th.
1887 lists James Daly, a carpenter with the Michigan Central Railroad living on 24th "between Porter and Howard"; perhaps no address yet because house is being built? A conductor named William Callahan lived at 211 24th. This is when DWSD claims the municipal water line was installed to the house, so I believe it was under construction this year. They also claim that the line had never been replaced since, according to their records. Searching the city building permit records from 1886 to 1888 showed a few results that could have been this house but the entries lacked street number, or section / lot numbers...others in the immediate area were built in that year range, such as 205, 183, 269, and 248 (Hector). It also showed that J.L. Quinn & Co. pulled many of these building permits, as well as W.H. Savory. One permit under Quinn from February 1887 matches the correct lot number (Lot 27 of Davis Sub of Porter Farm), but lacks other specifics. Most of the permits indicated construction costs of $1300-$1800.
1888 lists James Daly and George H. Daly "press feeder" at 236. This is the first actual reference to this house's address. SA Whipple "vessel captain," at 220/222 Orleans, which was also the residence/business of George N. Whipple, "druggist" for some years; Hall Whipple listed at 355 Croghan...BTW a McKittrick was listed at 220 Orleans in 1883.
1889 lists Herman T. Stratton "trav auditor T,KC & StL Ry," James Daly "carp," and Eleanor A. Gregory "domestic" at 236; SA Whipple "artist" at 168 Pitcher (Seth married Edith this year). First telephone exchange in southwest Detroit is based at Fort Wayne guardhouse.
1890 lists Herman F. Stratton and James Daly residing at 236; SA Whipple "artist" bds 47 Tuscola.
1891 lists lists Rev. Claudius B. Spencer at 236 24th; James Daly at 238(1262) 24th; SA Whipple "artist" h 47 Tuscola. Free Press article: Discuss cost of paving 24th between Fort & Baker (Bagley).
1892 lists Rev. Claudius B. Spencer at 236 24th; James Daly at 238; Whipple & Wineman as druggists at 120 Woodward and 1041 W. Fort; Seth A Whipple as "artist," bds at 47 Tuscola. Surnames in the directory for this area are a mix of British and Germanic.
1893 lists Frank G. Felker "clk at Detroit Gas Co." living at 236 24th (perhaps explaining all the different gas hookups in the basement); James Daly at 238; Whipples at h 1041 W. Fort, Seth "artist".
1894 lists Frank G. Felker "foreman" at 236 24th; James Daly at 238(1262); Whipples at h 1041 W. Fort (Whipple & Wineman, vessel owners). Chester Howes was a "clk" at 105 Perry. Free Press article: Windsor/Belle Isle ferry service active from foot of 24th St.
1895 listed Seth A. Whipple "artist" living in the house, and Maggie D. Whipple at 308 24th; Felker moved to 556 Lafayette Ave.
1896 lists SA Whipple and Wm. McKittrick at 236; Chester W. Howes "laborer" at 105 Perry. Free Press article: Rash of chicken thievery reported on 24th St.
1897 lists SA Whipple at 236, McKittrick went back to 237 Abbott. House first appears on Sanborn maps, with addition already existing; block is full of other houses with additions. Whipple may have designed and built the addition himself due to his background as a sawyer and architect. There was another Sanborn Map of the area done back in 1884, but it did not cover this block.
1898-1899 lists SA Whipple at 236; Chester Howes at 399 Hubbard St.
1899 lists SA Whipple "architect" at 236.
1900-1901 lists SA Whipple "architect" at 236; Chester Howes at 282 24th. James Daly "carpenter" was at 280 24th. Wm. McKittrick died in 1900, and SA Whipple died in 1901, leaving Edith alone in the house.
1902 lists Chester W. Howes living at 236 24th--he dies August 24, 1902, age 70. Sketch of the "ship boneyard" at the foot of 24th from that year:
1903 lists Martha Howes at 236 24th.
1904 lists Clarence M. Hollis, "secretary and treasurer of National Office Supply House," at 236 24th. Widow Edith Whipple dies with no offspring. House appears on city tax records supposedly for the first time, possibly due to a renovation that may have included electrification / change of ownership, so it is possible that Edith remained the owner of the house and rented it to the Howes' after Seth died.
1905 lists Wm. H. Bryant, "switchman," at 236 24th.
1906 lists Nathan H. Power, "clk Ry M S," at 236 24th. Mr. Power lived at 245(1275) from 1895 to 1905 and was listed as a postal clerk. Free Press article: Ballot proposal regarding building streetcar lines on 24th passed. The line was called the Baker Line, and 24th Street was wider at Porter to allow the car to turn around.
1907 lists Nathan H. Power, "clk Ry M S," at 236 24th; John Poppenger at 230; Frank G. Felker at 207. A 1907 Improvement Bulletin shows a carpenter named Richard Reison residing at 236, but I can't corroborate this anywhere else, and Reison does not show up in the Polk's city directory.
1908 lists Nathan H. Power, "clk Ry M S," at 236 24th; John Poppenger at 230.
1909 lists Nathan H. Power, "clk Ry M S," at 236 24th; John Poppenger "foreman Acme Foundry" at 230.
1910 lists Wm H. Bryant back at 236 24th again; John Poppenger at 230; Frank G. Felker at 213.
1911 lists Wm H. Bryant "confr (confectioner?)," at 236 24th; John Poppenger at 230.
1912 lists Wm H. Bryant "chiropracter" at 236 24th; bathroom was likely renovated this year, as c.1912 newspapers were found used as flooring underlayment. John Poppenger at 230(1246).
1913 lists Wm H. Bryant at 236 24th. Free Press articles: Garbage nuisance on 24th St., and a Fire at McRae Brass almost burns the entire 400-block of 24th Street.
1914 Polk's shows Wm. H. Bryant, "cond" (conductor?) at 236 24th St.
1915 lists Wm H. Bryant at 236 24th.
1916 lists Clifford C. Poppenger "inspr" at 236 24th, with John Poppenger "foreman"; Howard L. Poppenger "elctn" at 267 24th.
1917 lists John Poppenger "foreman" at 236 24th with Mary B. Poppenger "stenographer Detroit Edison Co"; Clifford C. moved to Navy Ave, listed as "chauffeur", Howard L. moved to Spokane Ave.
1918 lists John Poppenger "supt Acme Foundry" at 236 24th, with Helen C. "clk," and Mary B. "typist DECo"; by this point Norman H. Choate "real estate, 713-715 Chmb of Commerce" has been living nextdoor at 233/1250 24th for a LONG time, probably 20yrs. I suspect by his profession he may have been one of the original residents of the street.
1919-1920 lists John Poppenger "foreman Acme Foundry" at 236 24th, with Helen C. "saleslady, Aug W Strutz" and Mary B. "typist DECo." Cardex indicates garage was built May 15, 1919. Free Press article: Landlord /investment woes in 1919.
1920-1921 lists John Poppenger "foreman Acme Foundry" at 236/1256 24th, with Helen C., and Mary B. "Edison". City-wide address renumbering; 236 becomes 1256. Mistersky Lighting Plant was almost put at the foot of 24th in 1921, probably because the old city gas works was nearby at the foot of 22nd, but it was built at the foot of Morrell instead.
1921-1922 lists John Poppenger "foreman Acme Foundry" at 1256 24th, with Mary B.; Norman H. Choate left 1250, replaced by Mrs. Jennie Wellman.
1922 a Free Press article from July indicates a Mrs. Esther Thomas lived here (see clipping below) while the 1922-1923 directory only shows two Esther Thomases: a teacher on Taylor St., and a typist on Massachusetts Ave.
1922-1923 lists 1256 24th as vacant; with an accelerating turnover rate many of the people living on the block are new, but their surnames are still all Anglo.
1923-1924 lists Percy Boyd "cartage" at "1256 24th h do".
1925-1926 lists Bernard F. Carlin "foreman" at h1256 24th, with Cath Carlin "clk FJ Ward" at r1256.
1926-1927 lists Bernard F. Carlin "farmer" at 1256 24th, Edward A. Carlin "clk", and Ann L. Carlin "stenographer".
1927-1928 lists Bernard F. Carlin at 1256 24th, Cath "sten", and Ann L. Carlin "sten".
1928-1929 lists Chester Heller "inspr US Dept of Agriculture Bureau of Animal Industry," and wife Laura at 1256 24th; multiple names listed under many of the addresses on the street, indicating relative crowding in the area and subdividing/renting of larger homes.
1929-1930 lists Chas. A. McEldowney "clk MCRR," at 1256 24th, with wife Edna "bookkeeper," and Leslie "loader".
1930-1931 lists Chas. A. McEldowney "clk MCRR," at 1256 24th, with wife Edna "bookkeeper Stanley C. Burns," Leslie McEldowney, and Haskell Simmons "station attendant" with wife Ruth, and Ralph H. Spencer [not found elsewhere in directory at this address].
1931-1932 lists Ralph L. Girardin "dec" and wife Marie at 1256 24th.
1932-1933 lists 1256 24th as vacant; a fair number of addresses in this area were vacant.
1934 lists Claude N. Kreager "auto painter" and wife Stella at 1256 24th; Mrs. Jennie Wellman "dressmaker" still at 1250, 1257 is still occupied by Mrs. Julia A. Donahue after many years. I suspect that Wilma's maiden name was Donahue, and she later inherited 1257 when she was married (correction: Wilma's maiden name was Riley). Hector said Wilma grew up in the house in the 1920s, and that she was involved with the Hubbard-Richard neighborhood committee and fought to get the Ginko trees planted here in the 1920s.
1935 lists Claude N. Kreager "auto painter" and wife Stella at 1256 24th; directory has a bell symbol for some addresses now, indicating telephone; 1256 doesn't have one.
1936 lists Frank Samuel "laborer," with wife Rose, and Mary Samuel "laborer," at 1256 24th.
1937 lists Frank Samuel "factoryworker," and wife Rose Samuel "cleaner at Metropolitan Blg," living with Henry Samuel, Jos Samuel, and Mary Samuel "wrapper," at 1256 24th; Mrs. Jennie Wellman "dressmaker" still at 1250 (with telephone), while another "dressmaker," Mrs. Margaret Manners, resides at 1251. Hector's house, 1272, has a telephone; Jas W. Holton "factoryworker," with wife and son "mill hand, WM Chace Co." residing.
1938 lists Donald L. Miller "fireman DFD," and wife Edith M. "clerk Townsend-Bruce Co." at 1256 24th. There is also a Denver E. Miller "boat fireman," living at 272 W Grd Blvd (cor. Howard). There are pages and pages of Millers in directory...most likely there are more Millers residing at 1256. About half the block has telephone. Alex F. Cullen of Cullen Machine & Repair Co. lives at 1243 (business at rear). There's a few names that have been stationary on the street for several years now, indicating that the neighborhood is stabilizing again.
1939 lists Donald L. Miller "fireman DFD," and wife Edith M. at 1256 24th. There is also a Donald F. Miller "fireman" listed at 14443 Terry St., and a few other random Millers in the DFD as well. Denver E. Miller "marine fireman Wabash RR" moved to 751 24th.
1940 lists 1256 vacant. 1294 and 1303 are also vacant on this block. Frank and Rose Samuel moved to 321 S. Crawford, with Frank listed as "helper." The Millers moved to 3923 Bagley (near Vinewood), still with DFD.
1941 lists Cecil Dalton "foreman," with wife Garnet B. "inspr, Republic Pictures Corp.," and Virgil "mimeo opr," at 1256 24th, with telephone installed. There is a Harvey Dalton "factoryworker" at 1747 20th, and a Ray E. & Loretta Dalton at 2145 Porter. Donahues, Wellman, Holtons, and Manners all same.
1946 Wayne County Registrar indicates 1256 was sold to Cecil & Garnet Dalton in 1946 for $10, by George Mortimer Beseler and Erma B. Ruby (formerly Erma Adelaide Beseler), who were from or in San Diego County.
1956 lists Cecil Dalton "suprvr Ford," Donald A. "Dalton's Radio & TV Repair," and Jack E. "driver PO," at 1256 24th with wife Garnet "insp Columbia Pictures," telephone TA 5-7138. Possible relatives elsewhere in city: a Mrs. Mabel Dalton was a maid at the Palms State Theater, a few Daltons worked at Ternstedt Mfg., as well as Timken Axle. LaLonde has been at 1276 for many years, Holtons still at 1272, Wellman still at 1250. Clarence M. Pratt listed at 1257 (maybe Wilma's maiden name was Donahue?). Hispanic surnames are mixing with Anglo names on the block now. "Detroit Times sub sta" listed at 1298. 1247 is broken into 7 apts, as well as others in area. The Cardex shows ratwall added and other repairs made to garage in 1955, cost of $700.
1958 lists Cecil Dalton "suprvr Ford," with wife Garnet, Donald A. "Thompson Appliance / Thompson Radio & TV Repairs," Jack E. "driver PO" (wife: Clara), at 1256 24th. Pratts, Holtons, Wellmans, and Manners still same. Almost twice as many Hispanic names on block now.
Jimmy Lee grew up at 1289 25th from 1950s-1966, a white house that burned in the 1990s; according to Hector, a boy died upstairs in the fire. Cousins of Hector's had lived there beforehand.
1965 Cecil Dalton died, Garnet & Donald inherit 1256 24th. According to his death certificate, Cecil was born in Utah in 1900, and died at 26461 Lehigh, Inkster, of a heart condition. His mother's name was Mamie Plant (father unknown), he served in WWI, and is buried in Woodmere. City directory lists Mrs. Garnet Dalton as widow of Cecil, with no occupation listed. Wilma is listed alone at 1257, no occupation listed. Holtons, Manners, and Wellmans same. Street still about 50/50 Hispanic. Santos Martinez nextdoor at 1262.
1968 lists Mrs. Garnet Dalton, Donald Dalton "mgr Thompson Radio & TV" at 1256 24th. Pratt, Wellman, Martinez, and Holton same. Seven houses vacant from 1240 to 1202 24th. Shows entire 1200 and 1300 blocks of 23rd as vacant.
1970 lists Mrs. Garnet Dalton, Donald Dalton "mgr Thompson Radio & TV" at 1256. Pratt, Wellman, Martinez, Holton same. 24th between Lafayette and Howard shown as gone.
1973 lists Mrs. Garnet Dalton, Donald Dalton "mgr Thompson Radio & TV" at 1256. 1250 is occupied by Gene Vidaura "cement finisher" (new householder, this edition). Pratt, Martinez, Holton same.
1997 lists Donald A. Dalton, tel. 554-2126 at 1256. No addresses below 1256 shown on 24th except for JW Westcott, and Ambassador Foods Svc at 938. Hector's house not listed (probably vacant). Pratt is same (tel. 554-2718). Only 1261, 1275, and 1291 are shown remaining in 1200 block. Mostly Hispanic names shown.
1999 Donald Arthur Dalton died, Jack Dalton and Gloria J. Balagna of 10924 Bunton Rd., Willis, MI inherit 1256 24th St. According to the 1997 and 2003 Polk's, 1999 was probably when the house was last occupied / lived in.
2000 Bridge Company starts buying up houses in area and demolishing.
2003 lists 1256 as "Not Verified," and only shows 1201, 1256, 1257 (Wilma & Robert Pratt), 1272 (Not Verified), 1301 (Elsie M. Coffee), and 1303 (Not Verified) on this block. The entire 1300 block is not listed, and only 3 addresses are shown in the 1400s. Telephone numbers are shifting from 554 to 84x.
Oct-Dec 2005 Jack Edwin Dalton Sr. died, his wife(?) Clara N. Dalton, also of same address in Willis, MI inherits his 1/2 interest on 1256. Gloria J. Balagna quits her 1/2 interest, conveys it to Phillip A. Balagna of 12108 Pardee in Taylor.
February 2006 Clara conveys her interest on 1256 to Phillip? Rents it to Phillip?
July 2008 Clara is still the Grantor, but in the event of her death it will go to Jack Dalton of 51360 Arkona, Belleville, and Bart Dalton of Willis.
December 2011 Phillip A. Balagna dies, Kenneth D. Balagna of 46050 Thatcham, Belleville conveys to:
Phillip J. Balagna, 8211 Morton View, Taylor
Michael D. Balagna, 5261 Radnor, Detroit
Susan E. Greninco (fka Matias), of Snover, MI
Patricia G. Griggs (fka Maghielse) of Collingwood, TN
Debra J. Cornett, 12108 Pardee, Taylor
...for one dollar, as tenants in common. They also owned 1250. Wilma Pratt was given keys to the house and used it for storage.
May 19, 2014 Detroit Land Bank acquires 1256.
May 19, 2016 Land Bank conveys to us.
The story of the "24th Street Candle"
From one of my Michigan folklore books, "Michigan Haunts and Hauntings," by Marion Kuclo:
In the middle 1700s, an old red mill stood at the foot of what is now 24th Street in Detroit. The keeper of this old mill adopted a young Indian girl with the consent of her people, a Pontiac tribe. He raised her as his own daughter, teaching her the ways of the white man.I think the author is not aware that Pontiac is not a "tribe," he was a man--the leader of the Potawatomi people in this area. Wasson was a historical figure however, an Ojibwe chief who joined Pontiac's Rebellion, and according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasson, he killed a Captain Donald Campbell (who'd been taken captive), for killing his nephew. Wasson lived from 1730 to the 1790s. A c.2007 article at http://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/legendary-detroit/Content?oid=2190125 says:
Among the brave warriors of the dreaded Pontiac, there was at that time a young brave named Wasson. Wasson watched the maiden as she grew, and fell helplessly in love with her. His tribesmen warned him that although she had been born Indian, she was now alien to their tribe, and he should forget her.
But Wasson kept watch over the girl. To his dismay, he soon discovered that she had a secret which she kept from her foster-father. Whenever the miller was away, the girl would put a lighted candle in the window of the mill and a figure wrapped in a military cloak would emerge from the shadows, knock at the door, and be admitted. Wasson finally identified his rival as Colonel Campbell, an English officer, and he was seized by blind rage. He stole into the girl's room through a window, and slew her with his hatchet.
After the murder, people began to shun the mill. Those who did venture there often saw the figure of a young Indian maiden with a candle in her hand, walking about in search of her lover. She frightened so many people that finally, in 1795, the mill was torn down to rid it of her ghost. It is claimed by some however that to this day the maiden's flickering candle can sometimes be seen along the nearby waterfront.
One particular 18th century ghost story, according to Skinner, arose from an incident that supposedly happened, and has a more direct message about the conflict of native and colonial cultures. It tells of an Ottawa Indian woman carrying on a clandestine affair with both a British soldier and a Saginaw warrior. The woman would stand in the window with a lit candle to let the Brit know it was OK to meet. After the warrior figured out the couple's signal, he stabbed her to death. For years, the woman's ghost was said to appear in the window of the mill where she'd lived, roughly where 24th Street is today. Sadly, even ghosts can fall victim to urban blight.In any case, the story of the "24th Street Candle" is one that has sort of been forgotten while other Detroit folktales and ghost stories have remained in circulation. The book I have, and Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Plunges Into Michigan are the only two places I know of where it is found in contemporary print.
Charles Skinner's book, Myths and Legends of Our Own Land, was published in 1896, and I assume it was the first time the 24th Street myth was put into print:
It is no more possible to predicate the conduct of an Indian than that of a woman. In Detroit lived Wasson, one of the warriors of the dreaded Pontiac, who had felt some tender movings of the spirit toward a girl of his tribe. The keeper of the old red mill that stood at the foot of Twenty-fourth Street adopted her, with the consent of her people, and did his best to civilize her. But Wasson kept watch. He presently discovered that whenever the miller was away a candle shone in the window until a figure wrapped in a military cloak emerged from the shadows, knocked, and was admitted. On the night that Wasson identified his rival as Colonel Campbell, an English officer, he stole into the girl's room through the window and cut her down with his hatchet. Colonel Campbell, likewise, he slew after Pontiac had made prisoners of the garrison. The mill was shunned, after that, for the figure of a girl, with a candle in her hand, frightened so many people by moving about the place that it was torn down in 1795.
Sanborn Maps Vol 1, Sheet 59 (1921)
Shows 1256's front and rear porches in current configuration, and the "TV repair shed" was already there too, as well as the full 3-car garage.
The c.1897 Sanborn map does in fact show 1256 and its addition, as well as a small offset front porch. In fact the whole street has houses on every lot, and some carriage houses too.
The only older Sanborn map I can pull up at the library is c.1884, but for some reason that volume does not have a sheet covering this exact neighborhood, though it does show everything around it. There were streets and houses in the area, but for whatever reason they didnt give us coverage there. Back then Porter Street was called Labrosse, and 25th St was the city limits with Springwells Twp. (which is one block to the west of us).
1876 Illustrated Historical Atlas of Wayne County, H. Belden & Co.
Shows riverfront going all the way up to Woodbridge (Jefferson) at the foot of 24th; 25th is City Limits, Porter=Labrosse. Gasworks at foot of 22nd. Shoreline appears built out in at least a few spots.
1893 Detailed Official Atlas of Wayne County
Waterfront at foot of 24th shown built much further out past Jefferson; many slips.
S.P. Labadie House
Built 1750 or 1786, at northwest corner Jefferson & 24th, shown on c.1884 Sanborn. According to Mark Connett II:
992?/3530 West Jefferson Ave (formerly River road) also known as the Labadie house. According to the City of Detroit Michigan 1701-1922, Vol. 2 this house was built in 1786. It was considered the oldest house in Detroit for many years, it was built as a log cabin that had been modified over time. The round bay rooms you see on the side of the house were built on in 1831. According to the Burton Historical collection It stood on the American side of the river and the logs of which it was built received a shower of bullets during the War of 1812, and shortly after that it was covered up in clapboard siding. It's said Pierre Labadie was the one that built this house. There's a lot of history in regards to Labadie family in regards to this house that I can't fit in this description! The house stood until 1910 and it was demolished to make room for a gas reservoir tank. Image credits, the first image is from the Library of congress dated unknown. The second image is from the Burton Historical collection supposedly taken before it was torn down in 1910. On the north east corner of 24th and West Jefferson once lie this house. It belonged to a man named George B. Porter, not much else known. But what I can make out of the text it was completed in 1834 but Porter had already passed away by then.
About Seth Arca Whipple
Mr. Whipple lived at 1256 (236) 24th Street from 1895 to 1901. He was famous in the 1880s-1900s as an artist painting Great Lakes ships. The Detroit Historical Museum has many of his very valuable paintings available for reprint:
Color postcard depicting the painting "The Champion and Tow" by Seth Arca Whipple. This lithograph, from a painting by Seth Arca Whipple, is one of the most widely circulated pieces of art ever produced:
Whipple is listed in the book Early Michigan Artists, and some of his work is even on display in the Detroit Institute of Arts:
A life-long Michigan resident, Seth Arca Whipple grew up in New Baltimore on the coast of Anchor Bay, MI. Perhaps the result of growing up in an area so close to the water, Whipple would go on to be a noted marine painter depicting images of various boats and maritime technology. When looking at Whipple's paintings chronologically, we can see the effect the industrial revolution had on the marine industry as sails are replaced by smoke stacks. In the Sail Steamer Harold, Built by James Davidson, West Bay City, Whipple presents us with a boat cutting through choppy waters, showing the ease with which the newly-built boats traveled.
Seth Arca Whipple was an American visual artist who was born in 1855. Several works by the artist have been sold at auction, including 'Jos. L. Miner' sold at Stefek’s Auctioneers & Appraisers 'April Auction' in 2013 for $6,000. [fwiw his house sold 3yrs later for $7300]
BIRTH: 11 Feb 1855, New Baltimore, Macomb, Michigan
DEATH: 10 Oct 1901, Detroit, Wayne, Michigan
BURIAL: Elmwood Cemetery, Detroit, Wayne, Michigan
View descendants in the Whipple Database
Father: Nelson Simeon Whipple (25 Apr 1829 - 7 Feb 1904)
Mother: Caroline Cordelia Dean (12 Jul 1832 - 24 May 1888)
Family 1: Edith M. McKittrick (ABT 1865 - ____)
MARRIAGE: 27 Feb 1889, , Wayne, Michigan
In 1891 Whipple was the chaplain of the International Ship Masters' Association:
In 1901 Whipple designed the house at 3628 Bagley (at 25th) for Arthur Suppnick, according to Ben Gravel. Suppnick was assistant cashier at the Home Life agency, and a member of the Detroit Life Underwriters Association in 1911. Mr. Whipple died later that same year, at his home, 1256(236) 24th St.:
"Artist Whipple Dead," Detroit Free Press, October 11, 1901, p. 5:
"56 Cases of Scarlet Fever in Detroit; Last Week 48 Births Were Reported and 75 Deaths," Freep, Oct 20, 1901:
"Died," Freep, Oct 13, 1901:
Mr. Whipple was also something of an inventor according to this clipping from the May 13, 1894 Free Press:
About William McKittrick
The Blue Book of American Shipping from 1900 lists a William McKittrick at 236 24th St. (the bio on the man found here erroneously lists the address as 226)...
Engineer William McKittrick was born January 12, 1833, in Oswego, N.Y., where he was educated. His first experience as an engineer was under his father, as second in the Oswego elevator, in 1853, after which he served as second with him on the propeller Kentucky without license. The next spring he was appointed engineer of the tug Blower, at Oswego harbor, and the three following seasons ran the tug Mulford, A.A.Smith, Dobbie and Manwaring.
In 1857 Mr. McKittrick went to Chicago and ran an engine in an elevator, but later took the tug Sturgis and ran her for Capt. Redmund Prindiville, and after passing some months as superintendent of a retail coal yard, he shipped as engineer on the tug Walter McQueen. In 1861 he went to St. Louis and took charge of the machinery in the six tugs which had been built by Mr. Adams for General Fremont, and took them to Cairo, where he turned them over to Commodore Foote for use by the navy department; after which the Commodore gave him a position on the tug used as a dispatch-boat by him and on which he saw active service during the war. He then returned to Chicago and joined the propeller Prairie State as second engineer. In 1863 he sailed as second and then as chief engineer of the old propeller Ontario. The following year he entered the employ of the Northern Insurance Company as chief engineer of the tug Hector, which had been chartered by the government to tow the steamer New World, when dismantled to be used as a floating hospital, to Fortress Monroe. He returned with the Hector after completing the contract.
During the next four years Mr. McKittrick was chief engineer of the Northwestern elevator at Oswego, N.Y. In 1869 he went to Bay City and ran the tug Tornado for Dobbie & Manwaring. This was followed by two seasons as chief engineer of the lake tug Winslow, then owned by Ballentine & Co. He was chief engineer of the steamer R. Prindiville, of the Anchor line, in 1872, and the next spring bought a half-interest in the tug Seeley, and ran her. He was then chief engineer of the steamer Phil Sheridan two seasons; chief of the Annie L. Craig; chief of the St. Joseph; part of the season on the tug Stranger, and chief of the tug Sweepstakes; then assumed the position of assistant superintendent of a blast furnace at Hamtramck, after which he worked in the car shops of the Michigan Central Company. In the spring of 1882 he again took up the duties of an engineer, and was made chief of the steamer Business, and, in 1883, of the steamer Osceola, which he ran three seasons, followed by two on the H.D. Coffinberry. In 1888 he fitted out the steamer Monteagle, but closed the season on the lake tug Music. He then ran the steamer S.C. Baldwin two seasons, and the Nipigon one. In the spring of 1892 he was appointed chief engineer of the passenger steamer William Harrison, which he ran two seasons in the excursion business between Buffalo and Niagara Falls. In 1894 he received a government appointment as chief engineer of the mail equipment at Washington, D.C., which he retained three years. In the spring of 1896 he was appointed chief of the ferry steamer Fortune, on which he closed the season; and took out the steamer Germania, during the spring of 1897, and in 1898 joined the steamer R.J. Hackett as chief engineer.
Socially, he is a member of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association, and of the Ancient Order of the United Workmen.
On December 24, 1853, Mr. McKittrick was wedded to Miss Elizabeth A., daughter of Henry and Margaret (Henry) Watson, of Oswego. The children born to this union were William, who sailed as chief engineer many years, and died in South Chicago, October 12, 1897, at the age of 43 years; Edith, now the wife of S.A. Whipple, of Detroit, a former lake captain. The family homestead is at No. 226 Twenty-fourth street, Detroit, Michigan.
Wm. McKittrick, traced in Detroit city directories:
In 1875 he was rooming on Huron between Locust and Michigan Ave. In 1876 there are 4 Wm. McKittricks listed: one at 257 18th, one at 237 Abbott, one at 187 Trumbull, and one at 115 Baker. The 1877 directory shows one at 506 Michigan Ave and one at 237 Abbott. 1878 shows one at 237 Abbott and one at 242 13th. 1879 shows 237 Abbott and 107 10th; same data in 1880. Just one Wm. McKittrick in 1881 at 237 Abbott. 1882 shows McKittrick at 107 10th. 1883 has one at 237 Abbott and one moved to 220 Orleans. There are 3 in 1884: One at 237 Abbott, one at 371 Croghan, and one at 284 Orleans. 1885: one at 237 Abbott and one at 371 Croghan. One at 237 Abbott in 1886. 237 Abbott and 105 E. Milwaukee in 1887.
Common addresses between Whipples & McKittricks:
Sanborns Vol. 4
220/222(752/756) Orleans: southeast corner of E. Lafayette; 2 connected buildings still standing in 1921.
367(1827) Lafayette: northeast corner of Orleans, 2 blocks north of Congress; still standing 1921.
237(1333) Abbott: btwn 8th & Brooklyn; old house, many additions, standing in 1921.
371 Croghan: 371 Congress (near Riopelle) looks like apt flat, standing in 1921.
355 Croghan / 355 Congress E.: near Russell, looks like a house; standing in 1921. Many tenements nearby.
210(676) Congress E.: old row house btwn Hastings & St. Antoine; standing in 1921.
217(693) Congress E.: btwn Hastings & St. Antoine; machinery warehouse in 1921.
Sanborn Vol. 2
50(1042) Pine: covered by Detroit Creamery in 1918, corner of 6th.
305(2303) 4th: corner of Cherry & 4th, just south of Grand River; flat? standing in 1921.
511(3241) 4th: corner of Peterboro & 4th; house with additions, standing in 1921.
427 5th: corner of Temple (Bagg), at Grand River; parcel does not exist in 1921; just north of 50 Pine.
375 7th: Hobson or Brooklyn=7th? Would be near corner of Grand River.
47(955) Tuscola: btwn Greenwood & 4th (one block north of Brainard), still standing in 1921; just a few blocks from 511 4th.
213/217/237(2300) Grand River: corner of Cherry, directly across from original Cass Tech; shows tightly packed row of storefronts in 1921.
168 Pitcher: street not found in 1921 Sanborns
1041 W. Fort: southeast corner of West Grd Blvd?; probably seen on 1897 Sanborn
120 Woodward: right at Campus Martius
"100th Birthday," Freep, June 21, 2001:
"Hundreds of Fires Set Across City," Freep, Oct 31, 1984: